Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 1

During the first day, the instructor gave me my Micro Aquarium and told us we could pick out the water source  we wanted to put in our aquarium. I chose water source 8 which is Water from the Tennessee River. The water sample was taken from the location at boat ramp across from Knoxville sewer plant. Neyland Dr. Knox Co. Knoxville TN. Full sun exposure. The Tennessee River comes from French Broad and Holston Rivers water Sheds N35 56.722 W83 55.587 813 ft. The sample was taken on 10/10/2010 (http://botany1112010.blogspot.com/). After I chose my water source I was instructed to put first a layer of dirt and water from the bottom, then to add water from the middle and top layers. Next I was told to Put two different kinds of plant in the aquarium. The first plant was Fontinalis sp. Moss. Collection from: Natural spring. at Carters Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. TN. Partial shade exposure. N36 01.168 W83 42.832. The sample was taken on 10/10/2010. I placed it on the left of the aquarium. The second plant was Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN (http://botany1112010.blogspot.com/). I placed this plant on the right side of my aquarium.

Observations:
While I looked through the microscope with the 10X objective on. I saw many different shaped organisms mostly small and almost clear to were you could see right through them. The were moving very quickly all around in different directions. I also saw little Heart shaped organisms that were clustered around the second plant, they seemed to be sucking in water or something. I also was another organism that my instructor called a Rodifer that was near the heart shaped organism and also seemed to be sucking in water and digesting materials in the water. 10/13/2010

Citation:
McFarland, Ken. "Botany 111 2010." Web log post. Www.blogspot.com. 4 Oct. 2010.
            Web. 13 Oct. 2010. <http://botany1112010.blogspot.com/>.


No comments:

Post a Comment