Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 5

Observations:
      Day five observations took place on November eleventh at one p.m. till two p.m.. When I first started looking at my Micro Aquarium, I noticed there were not as many organisms swimming around as there has been the passed few weeks. I figured that it was because most of the food they were eating has ran out by now. The first new organism I observed was a Litonotus Cygnus. This organism is large and looks like it has a long neck which is its ingestion region. It has two Macronuclei that are in the centre of each cell body and a contractile vacuole that is near its posterior region (Patterson pg.133). Next I found an organism called an Actinophrys (Patterson pg.133). It has a very interesting structure, it has a round center with long and thin spike looking structures which are called Axopodia coming out of the center all over. These act as their arms to move around and to capture its food (Patterson pg.133) I also saw a lot of the same organisms from past weeks.


Citations:
Patterson, D.J. Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa. Manson, 1998. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment